Who We Are - History of Ogden Dunes Community Church

The first organizing meeting of what was to become the congregation of the Ogden Dunes Community Church, met in November 1951. The group became a mission group of the First United Presbyterian Church of Gary. On February 22, 1953, a Sunday School was established, and a student from McCormick Seminary was hired as temporary supply.

The first service of worship was held in the Ogden Dunes Fire Station on Sunday, April 12, 1953. The following July, Logansport Presbytery approved the church's petition and the Ogden Dunes Community Church, Presbyterian was established. The service to celebrate the official organization of the church was held Sunday evening October 11, 1953 in the Ogden Dunes Fire Station.

The cornerstone for the current church building was set in place in 1958. The original church building consisted of the Sanctuary, Fellowship Hall, Nursery, Classrooms and Kitchen.

In the early 1970's, a Capital Stewardship Program raised the funds to add office space, the pastor's office, and a South Hall. In 1996, the “Growing Our Faith Capital Stewardship Program” raised funds to add the Youth Education Center, the Upper Room, and expand the Fellowship Hall.

History of Ogden Dunes Community ChurchThe Reverend Homer Ogle was called as part-time minister in November, 1953. He served until the summer of 1956. Subsequent ministers have been:

Reverend Dan Brand
1956-1961

Reverend James Banks
1962-1967

Reverend Ted Kelley
1968-1971

Reverend Gordon Butcher
1972-1980

Reverend James Russell
1981-1986

Reverend Nancy Becker
1987 - 2004 (Pastor Emerita)

Reverend Robert Leach
2005-2010

Reverend Lloyd Sewdin
2013 to Present

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Romans 8:28

Ogden Dunes Community Church
Contact Us

116 Hillcrest Road
Ogden Dunes, Indiana 46368
Phone: 219-762-1184
E-Mail Us!
Directions - Click here!

Worship

9:00 am Bible Study
10:00 am Worship Service

Summer Worship

June 18 to September 3
8:30 am  Garden Service
10:00 am Service in the Sanctuary